Acyclovir is known as an antiviral agent. It is recommended for the treatment of recurrent herpes among individuals with good immune system function. For use among patients 12 years and older. Each cream contains 5% w/v of Acyclovir as its active ingredient.
Drug = Acyclovir
Strength = 5%w/v
Contains = 1 tube per order 5 gram per tube
How to use Aciclovir (ACIVIR Cream) 5%w/v
Make sure that the area of application is clean and dry. Squeeze a pea sized amount onto clean fingers or cotton applicator and apply a thin layer of cream over the lesion. Make sure to apply the cream over the entire surface of the lesion. After the application, do not cover the area.
Use acyclovir cream only for the prescribed number of days and frequency. Do not use more than recommended since it does not offer any benefit to the user.
Dosage of Aciclovir (ACIVIR Cream) 5%w/v
Adults and Children: Apply five times daily every 4 hours, do not apply the nighttime dose. Apply to lesions only preferably done during the early stage where there is redness of the area of the lesion, but may be applied on the later stages just before the crusting stage. Length of application is usually 7 days.
Herpes labialis: Continue for at least four days.
Genital herpes: Continue for five days but may be extended to a total of 10 days.
Missed Dose of Aciclovir (ACIVIR Cream) 5%w/v
In cases where there is failure of application on the directed time. Apply the next dose promptly and continue as scheduled.
If you have used acyclovir more than the recommended dose, observe for any untoward symptoms and seek medical help.
- Hypersensitivity to any of the following Acyclovir, valaciclovir & propylene glycol
Acyclovir may have the following side effects:
- Burning and stinging sensation on the area of application
- Dryness and flaking of the skin
Do not forget to inform your physician if you are taking any over the counter medications or food supplements as they may interact with Acyclovir.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Acyclovir.
How Does It Work?
Acyclovir works by preventing the action of viral DNA polymerase and the DNA replication of different types of herpes viruses. Acyclovir is an antiviral agent highly active against herpes simplex virus (HSV) types I and II and varicella-zoster virus in vitro.
Aciclovir is used to treat the following conditions:
- Skin infections caused by Herpes simplex virus
- Initial and recurrent genital herpes
- Herpes labialis
Special Precautions and Warnings
Take special precautions in taking Acyclovir if you have any of the following conditions:
- Severely immunocompromised patients
- Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)
- Bone marrow transplantation patients
- Pregnant or lactating mothers
- Store at temperatures not exceeding 30°C, away from direct sunlight
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Acyclovir after the date printed on the packaging..