Domperidone (Vomistop) 10 mg tablet is a specific dopamine receptor antagonist that is used to treat short-term nausea and vomiting. It speeds up the peristalsis of the gastrointestinal tract, induces the release of prolactin, and is used as an antiemetic and tool for researching dopaminergic pathways and to treat other disorders as determined by the doctor.
Drug = Domperidone
Strength = 10 mg
Manufacturer = Cipla limited
Quantity per sleeve = 10 Tablet (for the price quoted)
How To Take Domperidone (Vomistop) 10 mg Tablet
Take it on an empty stomach, at least 15-30 minutes before a meal. Try to take it at the same time each day. Do not take this medicine for longer than 7 days without consulting your doctor.
You may stop taking this medicine when you no longer have nausea or vomiting.
Take Domperidone exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Dosage of Domperidone (Vomistop) 10 mg Tablet
Acute treatment of nausea and vomiting: 10 mg three times a day. Maximum: 30 mg/day. Maximum treatment duration: 7 days. Use the lowest effective dose for the shortest possible duration.
Missed Dose of Domperidone (Vomistop) 10 mg Tablet
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your usual dosing schedule.
Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
Signs of overdose may include the following:
Seek medical help immediately.
Contraindications of Domperidone (Vomistop) 10 mg Tablet
People with the following medical conditions should not take Domperidone:
- Prolactin-releasing pituitary tumour
- Existing QTc interval prolongation
- Significant electrolyte disturbances
- Underlying cardiac disease
- Gastrointestinal hemorrhage
- Mechanical obstruction or perforation
- Moderate to severe hepatic impairment
- Concomitant use with QT-prolonging drugs and potent CYP3A4 inhibitors
Side Effects of Domperidone (Vomistop) 10 mg Tablet
Domperidone may have the following side effects:
- Elevated prolactin levels
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Neurological or extrapyramidal side effects (in Children)
- Oculogyric crisis
- Dry mouth
- Transient intestinal cramps
- Abnormal liver function test
- Loss of libido
- Urinary retention
- Breast pain or tenderness
- Serious ventricular arrhythmias
- sudden cardiac death
- QT interval prolongation
- Torsades de pointes
Warnings of Domperidone (Vomistop) 10 mg Tablet
Do not use in people with the following conditions:
- Heart rhythm disorder
- Significant imbalance of essential mineral in the body
- Slow heartbeat
- Heart failure
- Stomach or bowel problems
- Moderate to severe liver disease
Do not take Domperidone if you are taking any of these medicines:
- Oral ketoconazole
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- Sodium bicarbonate
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Domperidone.
How Does It Work?
Domperidone is a blocker of peripheral dopamine-receptors. It increases esophageal peristalsis, decreases the pressure of the esophageal sphincter, gastric motility and peristalsis, and improves gastroduodenal control, promoting gastric emptying and reducing the transit time of the small bowel.
Domperidone is used to treat the following conditions:
- Acute treatment of nausea and vomiting
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patients with personal or family history of breast cancer
- Risk factors for sudden cardiac death
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol
- Diabetes mellitus
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Renal and mild hepatic impairment
- Avoid alcohol
- Store between 15-30°C. Protect from light and moisture.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children. Protect from light and moisture.
- Do not use Domperidone that is expired or out of expiry date.