Mebendazole is an antihelminthic drug that acts by preventing the carbohydrate metabolism and polymerization of the microtubules of the parasite. Each tablet contains 100 mg of Mebendazole as its active ingredient.
Drug = Mebendazole
Strength = 100 mg
Contain 840 tablets
How to take
This medicine maybe taken on an empty stomach. Tablets maybe divided into half or crushed and mixed with food.
Dosage of Mebendazole (Mebex) 100 mg Tablet
Adult: Ascariasis, Hookworm infections, Trichuriasis: 100 mg three times a day for three consecutive days or 500 mg as a single dose.
Enterobiasis: 100 mg as a single dose; may repeat if necessary 2-3 weeks after initial treatment.
Missed Dose of Mebendazole (Mebex) 100 mg Tablet
In the event that the dose is missed, take the tablet immediately and appropriately time the next dose.
Inform your doctor for dose readjustment.
Overdose of Mebendazole (Mebex) 100 mg Tablet
If you took Mebendazole more than the prescribded dose, seek medical help immediately.
Symptoms of overdose may include the following:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea)
- Alopecia (rare)
- Reversible liver function abnormalities
- Complete blood count abnormalities (agranulocytosis, neutropenia, glomerulonephritis)
People with the following medical conditions should not take Mebendazole:
- Hypersensitivity to any of its component
Mebendazole may have the following side effects:
- Blood count abnormalities (agranulocytosis, neutropenia, bone marrow suppression)
- GI disturbances (diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal pain, abnormally high liver enzymes)
- Neurologic symptoms (convulsion, headache, dizziness)
- Severe allergic reactions (angioedema, urticaria)
Potentially fatal side effects:
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
Do not take Mebendazole with the following medicines:
Inform your physician if you are taking medications which are off label drugs and vitamin supplements that can be bought over the counter.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Mebendazole.
How Does It Work?
Mebendazole selectively and irreversibly blocks glucose uptake and destroys digestive and reproductive functions, resulting in immobilization, inhibition of egg production leading to the demise of the parasite. This drug is effective against nematodes and other worms.
Mebendazole is used to treat the following conditions:
- Infections or infestations caused by Ascaris, Hookworm infection, Trichuris and Enterobius vermicularis
Special Precautions and Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Hepatic impairment
- Lactating women
- Children 2 years old and younger
- Store between 20-25°C and protected from light.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Mebendazole after the date indicated on the package.
There are no reviews yet.