Mometasone furoate is a synthetic glucocorticosteroid used to treat rhinitis, asthma, and certain skin conditions. Each lotion contains 0.10% of Mometasone furoate as its active ingredient.
Drug = Mometasone Furoate
Strength = 0.10%
How to use
Mometasone furoate cream is suitable for both moist and dry, flaky lesions.
Apply it at the same time daily to avoid missing the dose.
Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and as directed. Do not use more than the prescribed dose.
Dosage of Mometasone Furoate (Elocon Lotion) 0.10%
Squeeze an adequate amount on clean fingertips and apply on the affected area in a single direction only, used once a day.
Do not use it on the face for longer than five days for children and 7 days for adults.
Missed Dose of Mometasone Furoate (Elocon Lotion) 0.10%
In cases of missed dose apply it as soon as you remember it and continue on with the next dose at appropriate intervals.
Do not double the dose under any circumstances.
Overdose of Mometasone Furoate (Elocon Lotion) 0.10%
If you think you may have used Mometasone furoate more than the recommended dose, seek medical help immediately.
Symptoms of overdose may include the following:
- Fatigue, weight loss and diarrhea
People with the following medical conditions should not use Mometasone furoate:
- Hypersensitivity to corticosteroids
- Genital itching
- Viral infection
- Fungal skin infection
- Other skin infections
- Acne vulgaris
- Inflammation around the mouth
- Ulcerated skin or wounds
- Diaper rash
- Children 2 years old and younger
Mometasone furoate may have the following side effects:
- Burning, tingling and stinging sensation
- Skin thinning
- Application-site reactions
- Inflamed hair follicles
- Pimple-like reactions
Inform your physician of the medications that you are presently taking.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Mometasone furoate.
How Does It Work?
Mometasone furoate works by traversing across cell membranes where they bind to glucocorticoid receptors to activate pathways responsible for relieving inflammation. It increases the expression of anti-inflammatory molecules thereby reducing the symptoms of allergy.
Mometasone furoate is used to treat the following conditions:
- Relief of inflammation & itch caused by skin conditions
- Atopic dermatitis
- Contact dermatitis
Special Precautions and Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Risk of corticosteroid-induced glaucoma
- Increased fluid pressure in the eye especially with prolonged use
- Evaluate periodically for evidence of HPA axis suppression if applied on large areas or when used under occlusive dressing
- Possibility of adrenal suppression & other side effects particularly with infants and children
- Patients with psoriasis as pustular psoriasis may occur during therapy
- Do not use it on the face, underarms or groin area
- Do not cover the treated area
- Discontinue if infection occurs
- Can delay the healing of lesions
- Contains propylene glycol which may cause skin irritation
- Contains stearyl alcohol which may cause local skin reactions
- Store at temperatures not exceeding 30°C.
- Keep containers tightly closed. Do not freeze.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Mometasone Furoate after the date indicated on the bottom of the packaging