Ethinylestradiol+Cyproterone acetate is combination drug that contains the following: a progesterone called Cyproterone acetate and an estrogen called Ethinylestradiol. It is used to treat effects of increased androgen levels in women, such as severe acne, oily skin, and excessive growth of facial or body hair. Androgens are hormones which are predominant in males.
Drug = Ethinylestradiol+Cyproterone acetate
Strength = 0.035mg+2mg
Contains = One month cycle
How to take
This medicine may be taken with or without food, at the same time each day.
Take the prescribed number of tablets until the prescribed duration only.
Dosage of Ethinylestradiol+Cyproterone acetate (GINETTE-35) 0.035mg+2mg Tablet
Adult: Acne, Hirsutism and Oral contraception: First treatment course: 1 tab/day for 21 days starting on the first day of menstruation. Subsequent courses: 1 tab once daily for 21 days after seven tab-free days.
Missed Dose of Ethinylestradiol+Cyproterone acetate (GINETTE-35) 0.035mg+2mg Tablet
If in some cases you miss taking the inactive tablets (white colored), no need to take rescue doses. However if you miss taking the active tablets (yellow colored) tablets, follow the steps below:
Within 12 hours: Take the missed tablet as soon as remembered, then continue taking the next one at your usual time.
More than 12 hours: If the missed tablet is within;
Week 1 of the pack: Take the missed tablet as soon as remembered, even if it means taking two tablets simultaneously. Continue to take your tablets at your usual time. Use a barrier method such as a condom for the next seven days.
Week 2 of the pack: Take the missed tablet as soon as remembered, even if it means taking two tablets at the same time. Continue to take your tablets at your usual time. If you have taken your tablets correctly in the seven days before the first missed tablet, there is no need to use extra contraceptive precautions. However, if this is not the case, or you have missed more than one tablet, use a barrier method such as a condom for the next seven days.
Week 3 of the pack: Depending on whether you have taken your tablets correctly in the seven days before the first missed tablet.
Take according to the instructions on the label or as prescribed by the physician. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Overdose of Ethinylestradiol+Cyproterone acetate (GINETTE-35) 0.035mg+2mg Tablet
If you took Ethinyl Estradiol + Cyproterone acetate more than the usual dose, please seek medical help immediately.
Signs of overdose may include the following:
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding outside your regular menses
People with the following medical conditions should not take Ethinyl Estradiol + Cyproterone acetate:
- Current or history of stroke
- Breast cancer
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Diabetes mellitus with vascular symptoms
- Elevated blood pressure
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- History of migraine with focal neurological symptoms
- Liver failure leading to cirrhosis
- Pregnant and lactating mothers
Ethinylestradiol+Cyproterone acetate may have the following side effects:
- Worsening of migraine
- Risk or worsening of existing renal problems
- Pruritus associated with cholestasis
- Gallstone formation
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Hearing loss
- Loss or doubling of vision
- Mood swings
- Abdominal pain
- Weight gain
- Breast pain
- Fluid retention
- Increased risk of venous and arterial thromboembolism (rare)
- Malignant hepatic tumors leading to intra-abdominal hemorrhage
Do not take Ethinyl Estradiol + Cyproterone acetate with the following medicines:
- Dasabuvir with or without ribavirin
Inform your physician if you are taking medications which are bought over the counter and other herbal food supplements.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Ethinyl Estradiol + Cyproterone acetate.
How Does It Work?
Ethinylestradiol+Cyproterone acetate works by decreasing the production of the hormone androgen by way of a negative feedback mechanism. It also inhibits ovulation by reducing the endometrium’s receptivity to implantation and thickens cervical mucus to form a barrier to sperm,hereby inhibiting conception.
Ethinylestradiol + Cyproterone acetate is used to treat the following conditions:
- Oral contraception
Special Precautions and Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patient with history of Diabetes mellitus with mild vascular symptoms or mild nephropathy and retinopathy
- Fibrocystic disease of the breast
- Uterine fibroids
- Diagnosed case of depression
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Familial defects of lipoprotein metabolism, elevated triglyceride levels
- Renal impairment
- Do not take alcohol or grapefruit juice.
- Store between 15-30°C and protected from light.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Ethinyl Estradiol + Cyproterone acetate after the date on the bottom of the package