Levocetirizine is a selective inhibitor of the histamine H1 receptor, an antihistamine medication used to treat allergic symptoms such as itching, swelling, and rashes by blocking the release of histamine into the circulation. Each tablet contains 5 mg of Levocetirizine as its active ingredient.
Drug = Levocetirizine
Strength = 5 mg
Contains 200 Tablets
How to take
Levocetirizine may be taken with or without food. It is best taken at the same time each day and before going to bed.
Take exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Dosage of Levocetrizine (Cetzime) 5 mg Tablet
Adult: 2.5-5 mg once daily in the evening.
Missed Dose of Levocetrizine (Cetzime) 5 mg Tablet
In the event that the dose is missed, take the tablet immediately and skip the dose for the day. Resume taking the medication the next day at the same time.
Inform your doctor for dose readjustment.
Overdose of Levocetrizine (Cetzime) 5 mg Tablet
If you have taken more than the recommended dose of Levocetirizine diHCl, observe yourself for symptoms and if so, seek help immediately without delay.
Symptoms of overdose may include any of the following:
- Restlessness (children)
People with the following medical conditions should not take Levocetirizine HCl:
- End stage renal disease patients on maintenance hemodialysis
- Levocetirizine HCl may have the following side effects:
- Neurological symptoms (CNS function depression, headache, sleep disturbances, increased sleeping time)
- Itchiness all over the body
- Dryness of the mouth
- GI symptoms (diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain)
- Episodes of fever
- Upper respiratory tract symptoms (nasopharyngitis, cough, nosebleeding)
Do not take Levocetirizine HCl with the following medicines:
Inform your physician if you are taking medications which are off label drugs and vitamin supplements that can be bought over the counter.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Levocetirizine HCl.
How Does It Work?
Levocetirizine is an active form of cetirizine. It selectively competes for histamine receptor sites on effector cells in the gastrointestinal tract, blood vessels, and respiratory tract. It prevents histamine from binding to the receptor and causing smooth muscle contraction, increasing the permeability of vascular endothelium, and stimulation of cough receptors.
Levocetirizine HCl is used to treat the following conditions:
- Allergic reactions to food and drugs
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patient with history of urinary retention
- Spinal cord lesion
- Prostatic hyperplasia
- Patients with a history of epilepsy
- Mild to moderate renal impairment
- Pregnant and Lactating mothers
- Store between 20-25°C.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Levocetirizine HCl after the expiry date